Search This Blog

Sunday, May 16, 2010

I made my own fondant!

No, really, I did. With my own little hands. Well, more my own little Kitchen Aid but who needs specifics!

Fondant can get pretty expensive. And doing cake can sometimes be a gift with out much reward. And when I say reward I mean $. When you do cakes for family or friends you don't charge nearly enough and often nothing at all. You just want to make them happy. So I though I would try my hand at fondant to help make the gift a bit more rewarding.

Buying fondant usually runs about $13 for a 2 pound bucket. Making your own costs about $6. Marshmallows, water, vanilla and powdered sugar. You melt the marshmallows with the water and make sure they are combined and then pour over the powdered sugar and mix with a dough hook until it's the right consistency. Sounds easy, right? Oh, so wrong. It's not that it wasn't easy but this mass was a sticky sucker. And if, ahem when, you touched it, you were covered. So, more sugar was added.

I finally got it to a good consistency and triple wrapped it and let it sit for about 2 days. I thought I would try it out on this weeks cakes, just to enrobe the cakes, not for modeling.

As I rolled it out I found the fondant rather sticky and had to use quite a bit of powdered sugar to keep it sticking. I also went ahead and kept it thinker than I usually would because it also seemed kind of dry. It is an elementary recipe so I think I have some toying to do but I will definitely use it again. I am all for saving $ and increasing smiles!

No comments:

Post a Comment