Search This Blog

Sunday, May 9, 2010



Happy Mother's Day!!!

A lovely mother deserves a great cake, right? At least that's how I think about it. The thing is, when you are a baker, you usually end up making the cake...even for yourself!

So, for mothers and mothers to be...a cake for you!


Inspired by chocolate and banana cream pie I went to work. Chocolate cake is layered with fudge sauce, bananas, vanilla pastry cream and vanilla wafers. In making the pastry cream, I ran out of granulated sugar. What to do?! I decided to sub brown sugar, not knowing what would happen! Well, It was to die for. Seriously.

The pastry cream was much softer and pudding like and it had a great butterscotch quality without being overly sweet. The bananas, since they were so ripe, flavored the pastry cream in a great 'I am banana, hear me roar' kind of way. And the fudge sauce really helped to bring a calming chocolate flavor to the cake. It came together very easily, which is always nice.




No comments:

Post a Comment