Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Candy Crazy

It was a serious candy weekend.

I was trying different things to see what sticks and see what needs to be changed. This also allowed me to get more practice, and to get some opinions from people (gotta love family) on what to put/keep in arsenal. But more so than anything, I really love making candy and this was jut a time to get to do it without worrying about orders or failure. Cause, really, if I over crystallized the fudge...only I would know!

I have always loved rice krispie treats. Always. Yet, for some reason, everytime I made them, they were too hard. Well, I finally found my perfect ratio of marshmallow to RKT. After that, I wanted more flavors! So I tried out a few in this candy making whirlwind. S'more, Cowboy, and Confetti.



The S'more RKT actually started the previous day as I made a Hershy's ganache and homemade marshmallows. After they both set I began layering. I first started with the bottom layer of RKT, then layered with ganache, Hershy's chocolate bars, homemade marshmallows which I melted, and graham crakers. I let that set and then layered more RKT.

The unveiling was awesome! I love it when things work. I was scared, though.


I finished them off with a chocolate dunk and crushed graham crackers. They were soooo good. I will definitely be making them again.

The Cowboy RKT's were also soo good and started the day before as well. This where an oops turned into a new finding for me. I was in process of making chocolate marshmallows. I added my cocoa paste but it seems I added a bit too much liquid at the end because when I poured the mixture into my pan it, well, poured.

After curing for a day, though, I had a fluff like concoction that tasted like hot cocoa. Seriously yummy. For these I also made a honey caramel. I layered these like I did the S'more RKT's but with chocolate fluff, pretzels, and caramel. They were dipped in chocolate and covered with crushed pretzels. Mmmm, mmmm, good. The pretzels made this, the salt, chocolate and caramel all went so well. I will be adding more pretzels for next time, though.


Confetti were last and were by far the easiest. I wanted a birthday cake kind of feel and that's exactly what I got. I mixed in a TON of confetti sprinkles with the RKT and then, once set I topped with chocolate marshmallow fluff (read:icing) and more sprinkles. They were finished with a dip in chocolate, because, well, more chocolate is always a good thing!


This weekend also saw old fashioned fudge, which I am now addicted to. Seriously, I have never liked fudge but I couldn't stop eating this! I used the caramel and marshmallows to make some caramallows, they were fun and I was so excited that my method worked! The honey certainly broadened the sweetness and flavor in the caramel and the handmade marshmallows do not have the overly sweet taste that store boughts do so the flavor was very mellow and exciting.


Buttercrunch was also on the menu, topped with chocolate it is delicious. I decided not to add nuts incase anyone had a nut allergy but it is also divine with salted pecans or almonds.

I am very happy to say that most everything I made is gone now. I sent items to family, I sent most away with kids and hubby cause well, I want it on someone else's hips! I still have caramel and chocolate marshmallows calling me to make it into a candy bar...but that's for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment