Search This Blog

Sunday, May 16, 2010

2 cakes this weekend!

Yep, it was a busy weekend, especially considering we had company, but it was very worth it. This truly is my therapy and passion.


Cake 1 is a birthday cake with a pirate theme. Why yes, an octopus can be a pirate and yes, he does have to protect his booty. He's molded out of gumpaste with edible marker details. His pirate flag is gumpaste as are the anchor and gold chest.


The cake itself was chocolate butter cake with fudge frosting and caramel between each layer. The caramel soaked into each layer and really made for an extra fudge-y experience.

Cake 2 is a Romantic Toile cake for 2 lovers. I downloaded a toile image and then hand painted it on the cake. Yes, it was difficult. Yes, my hand kept falling asleep. Yes, I will definitely do it again. I love to paint, and to paint something you can eat? Well, that's even better!


The cake was inspired by a banana split and fluffy layers of banana cake sandwich a layer of caramelized pineapple, buttercream, and caramel and a layer of handmade strawberry sauce, buttercream and fudge. This cake is delicious! The banana cake is a new favorite for sure. I roast the bananas before smashing them and it makes them even more flavorful.


I used my handmade fondant to cover both of these cakes. I have to say I like it but I do think I will toy with the recipe and perhaps think about adding gums so I get more elasticity. But I will definitely be making fondant again. It was quite an adventurous cake weekend for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment