Search This Blog

Friday, September 10, 2010

Whoa...seriously!?







It's been how long since my last post? I mean, I know I've been busy but sheesh, time flies.

Well, it's the beginning of summer and my plum tree is going to burst! It is beautiful to see the bounty she provides. In the spirit of summer and dessert (as always) I decided to head out and start picking!



So, after picking about 3 pounds (and not even an eighth of the total tree) I head back into the kitchen and start thinking. What would be good? What would be quick? What will make my family jump in with a spoon and not be able to turn away?

Poached Plums! Yes...easy, delicious, and they can be used in so many ways! I quickly start my poaching liquid.

White wine, Chambord, Calvados and water are the base. Sweetened with white and brown sugars and delicately spiced with cinnamon, allspice and 2 vanilla bean pods. As my liquid comes to simmer I begin halving and de-seeding my plums. Since they were perfect, it was really no trouble...thank goodness!


Now, I now some say a plum is a plum is a plum, I know many others who say shush your mouth! It's true, there are many different varieties of plums and each has a very different flavor and texture. All I know about the plum tree in my backyard is that its an Elephant Plum. Otherwise, not much else except they are slightly sweet and quite sour.

Being of the sour profile I made my poaching liquid a bit sweeter than I would have otherwise. That way, the liquid would compliment the sour flavor without making them too sweet.

I always taste as I go, and good thing. When I thought I had enough sugar, I tasted to find that, really, I could use a bit more. This was where the brown sugar came in. I wanted more dimension and punch and I knew with the overall flavor that brown sugar would give me that and be the perfect companion to my plums.


After the plums were done I jarred the plums with sauce and then reduced the left over liquid. The perfect topping for Poached Plum Sundae. Since I had leftover Brown Sugar Ice Cream and some vanilla cake from a few days before I figured this was the way to use it. And I was right!

The sundae was gobbled up within minutes. The bowl licked and then, what do you know, extra cake?! Yes please...extra syrup?! Double yes, please!!

And so the night ended...bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment