Search This Blog

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Icing Smiles

In early Summer I found out about a wonderful organization called Icing Smiles, Inc. They are a non profit that provides custom cakes and treats for families and children impacted by critical illness. After reading the mission I immediately contacted them to see how I could be of service.

Although it was only about a month or two, it truly felt like forever before I got an email saying there was a request in my area. It may sound weird I was so very excited to help a family. And to get to do it with cake! How could it be better? And seriously, if you head over to the Icing Smile FaceBook page (Icing Smiles, Inc FB), you will see the incredible enthusiasm of my fellow bakers. The families are so thankful and appreciative but we bakers are just as honored and touched to be a part of the celebration and giving.

So, onto the family!

I was put in touch with Martha, momma of Aaron. Aaron has Congenital Central Hypoventalation Syndrome. As described by Martha, Aaron forgets to breathe and has been hooked up to a breathing machine since he was born. It was Aaron's first birthday. As a momma to 4 boys and one coming up on his first birthday, I was beyond thrilled!

After some talk about theme and flavors, I found out it was going to be a dual party for Martha's daughter Lily, too. The family planned to get her a small cake from a grocery store so she could have her own cake. I was not about to let that happen! I mean, grocery store cakes are nice but how could I make Aaron 2 cakes (the main cake and a smash cake) and not make something for little Lily?

I was free to design whatever I liked. Of course I wanted the family to be pleased and impressed but I also wanted some surprises!


I was hard at work for days making monkey figures. Aaron is his momma's little monkey and that was going to be the key theme. For Lily an edible crown was in order for the princess. Baking and whirling up a frenzy of cake, frosting, and fondant. I could not wait to get started on the cake.





















Everything went so smoothly! I could not believe it! I was really waiting for something to so wrong. But nothing did! Of course then I started having awful thoughts about delivery disasters!!! That will make anyone quiver in there clogs. I set everything up and made things as sturdy as I could. I would be delivering the cakes more than 30 minutes from my house.





















As I packed things up, I was stressed just thinking about the drive. Poor, dear hubby. He had to deal with the brunt of it. At the time he just got out of the way, which just kind of added to the stress. Of course now I know he was simply saving both of us! And...delivery went off without a hitch!



I was thrilled to meet Martha, aaron and the rest of the family. This was truly a great experience and I hope I can help more people in my area to have wonderful celebrations of life with custom cakes.


















You can visit Icing Smiles on their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment